- Meeting Dates
- Announcements and Events
- Meeting Minutes
- CDA Mission & Bylaws
- Contact Us
- Hawkeye Access Pride - Recoginition Program
Welcome to Council on Disability Awareness
Meeting Notes - Oct. 21, 2010
Present: Carly Armour, Helen Jameson, Jan Gorman, Mike Hoenig, Keith Ruff, Mike Venzon, Sham Ghoneim, Shelli Meyer, Peter Fitzgerald, Deb Suchomel, Chris Smith, Janalane Moss, Kathy Forbes, Terry Cunningham
Guest Present: Sherry Hildebrand, Co-Director of SportAbility
Call to order
Helen Jameson & Carly Armour, Co-Chairs called meeting to order at 12:00pm.
- 2nd Annual CDA Writing Contest
- Judges have accepted and been approved.
- Discussed partnering with Iowa Writers Workshop – Mike will contact
- Combine application and release together.
- The Press Citizen has a monthly magazine where contest could be published.
- Prizes for 1st place, $50, publishing and certificate, 2nd & 3rd certificate & publishing
- Mike and Carly are working on the consent forms.
- Institutional Repository, a way to publish winners.
- Peter and Deb are the Publicity Sub-Committee
- Sherri Hildebrand spoke about Sport Ability: Provides sport and recreation to people with disabilities and without.
- Examples: Sitting volleyball, wheel chair basketball, and archery. They are working on goalball, tandem biking partnering running.
- They are in the process of getting Liability Insurance.
- A possible 1 year membership fee may assist in this expense.
- On Martin Luther King Day, January 17th, 2011 there will be an exhibition/demonstration by Paralympics athlete.
- In the Spring there will be a golf fund raising event at Riverside Casino & Golf Resort in Riverside, IA.
- CDA is placing them on the website and their need for volunteers.
- Suggestions by CDA members to contact for publicity and fundraising:
- Miracles in Motion, horse therapy
- Fraternities and Sororities
- U of I Human Resources, to get access for Auto Donations made by staff.
- Focused on all Regents Schools to get a dialogue started.
- Good response from other schools received.
- Speaker made attendees think of those with disability as the “norm”.
- Suggestion for more publicity
- ILLOWA wants to have a Round Table with CDA
- The Institution Membership for UI would be approximately $75 to add.
Meeting adjourned at 1:30pm by Helen and Carly.
The next meeting will be Thursday, Nov 18 at 12pm Room 2520C at UCC
Minutes submitted by: Shelli Meyer, Secretary
Approved by: Carly Armour