Spotlight Member of the Month
- What is your role in CDA and how long have you been a member?
- I've been a member for four years and have served as Co-Chair with Helen Jameson the past two years.
- The diversity of its members and welcoming atmosphere; and the opportunity to increase disability awareness on campus to decrease attitudinal and physical barriers.
- Disability Advisor at Student Disability Services
What is your disability or condition, if any, if you are comfortable sharing?
I have been profoundly deaf in both ears since birth as a result of Connexin 26 genetic disorder. I wore hearing aids and read lips until I was in my early 20s. I now have a cochlear implant on each ear and am fluent in ASL.
What is your educational background?
Bachelor of Social Work, The University of Georgia, 2001
- Master of Social Work, The University of Georgia, 2007
- Come to our meetings and meet like-minded peers! Learn and utilize services on campus such as Faculty & Staff Disability Services.
- Get involved and connect with the Student Disability Org (SDO) and/or Active Minds. Get registered with Student Disability Services and utilize helpful accommodations or at least meet one of the cool disability advisors!
Where is your favorite place to eat in town?
Definitely Lou Henri's. Their Veggie Melt Sandwich is a must!
What is your favorite activity to do at UI?
Attending arts and musical events such as the Dance Gala and Nachte Raho Indian Dance Competition.
What best disability-related practices or changes do you recommend to better our campus?
Get to Know Other Members of the Month!
- Carly Armour, Student Disability Advisor, SDS
- Bob Harding, Utility Systems Specialist, UI Power Plant
- Teresa Kout, Participant Services Coordinator in Study Abroad, UI International Programs
- Kathy Ford, Administrative Coordinator & Assistant to the Chair in the School of Music
- Mike Hoenig, Program Coordinator at the Center for Disabilities and Development
- Brian Manternach, Facilities Accessibility Coordinator, Facilities Management – Building & Landscape Services
- Mark Harris, Director, Student Disability Services
- Keith Ruff, Community Social and Educational Advocate, Access 2 Independence
- Tiffini Stevenson Earl, Compliance Specialist and ADA Coordinator, Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity
- Peter Gerhard, Academic Advisor, Academic Advising Center
- David Fitzgerald, Retired from Career Pomerantz Center
- Rachel Gatewood, Campus Collaboration Specialist, Center for Diversity & Enrichment
- John Mikelson, Coordinator, Veterans Center
- Jan Gorman, Director, Faculty and Staff Disability Services
Stay tuned for future Members of the Month!