Spotlight Member of the Month
- What is your role in CDA and how long have you been a member?
- I am relatively new to the CDA and have been a member since October of 2011. My current role is working with Mike Hoenig in developing a model that will acknowledge efforts and accomplishments of greater accessibility within the UI community.
- Besides the diversity of the group and the wonderful people they all are; I would have to say it is the member’s energy and enthusiasm to partner with the UI in transforming itself into an environment that is inviting and supportive to all individuals. The CDA is very much a working/action committee.
- I work for Facilities Management – Building & Landscape Services where I serve as the Facilities Accessibility Coordinator.
- Northeast Iowa Community College – Construction & Building Materials Management
- What advice would you give to a colleague on campus who has a (DIS)ability?
- Many individuals with disabilities are reluctant to request an accommodation for themselves because of various reasons. I would like to advise all individuals with disabilities to seek out a way for them to improve their own life and environment as well as the lives and environments of all individuals with disabilities.
- The same as I would to a colleague in #6
- I suppose Monica’s would rate right up there. I like their causal atmosphere and diverse customer age group they seem to attract. And of course the food and drink too!
- My son Blake has been performing with the UI Johnson County Landmark jazz orchestra band and I really enjoy attending their performances.
- I will only name one and that is to reframe disability from a medical model to a social model. The medical model that our society is currently accustomed to focuses on the individual, as though they have a problem, and that the problem needs to be fixed/cured by experts. The social model is society-focused, acknowledging that the person with an impairment is only disabled by society and the environment that surrounds them.
Get to Know Other Members of the Month!
- Carly Armour, Student Disability Advisor, SDS
- Bob Harding, Utility Systems Specialist, UI Power Plant
- Teresa Kout, Participant Services Coordinator in Study Abroad, UI International Programs
- Kathy Ford, Administrative Coordinator & Assistant to the Chair in the School of Music
- Mike Hoenig, Program Coordinator at the Center for Disabilities and Development
- Brian Manternach, Facilities Accessibility Coordinator, Facilities Management – Building & Landscape Services
- Mark Harris, Director, Student Disability Services
- Keith Ruff, Community Social and Educational Advocate, Access 2 Independence
- Tiffini Stevenson Earl, Compliance Specialist and ADA Coordinator, Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity
- Peter Gerhard, Academic Advisor, Academic Advising Center
- David Fitzgerald, Retired from Career Pomerantz Center
- Rachel Gatewood, Campus Collaboration Specialist, Center for Diversity & Enrichment
- John Mikelson, Coordinator, Veterans Center
- Jan Gorman, Director, Faculty and Staff Disability Services
Stay tuned for future Members of the Month!