Here are a number of resources that may be useful to anyone in the University of Iowa community.
- The Behavior Risk Management (BRM) Protocol provides a planned comprehensive approach to faculty and staff behaviors that could lead to hostility and violence in the workplace. BRM takes a clinical as well as consultative approach. For more information, call 335-2085.
- This document describes effective conflict management strategies and skills for the entire campus community, with links to additional resources.
- Included are bibliographies of articles and books on conflict management.
- Several resources on workplace bullying are provided.
- Communication skills are critical in effective conflict management.
- A number of offices on campus offer confidential services to students, staff, and/or faculty.
Conflict Description Template
- The Conflict Description Template may be useful for supervisors and others involved with conflict situations on campus.
- The Ombuds Office of Princeton University has developed an online conflict management tutorial that includes a questionnaire and suggested strategies to address specific conflicts.
- This document provides strategies for dealing effectively with disruptive or difficult people.
- UI departments that may be helpful in managing conflict are listed and described.
- This article describes the differences between direct and indirect communication.
- Resources on ethics include:
People Accused of Violating University Policies (Respondents)
- Information for Those Accused of Violating a University Policy
- Best Practices for Interacting with People Accused of Violating a University Policy
- UI policies related to conflict management are listed and described.
- Strategies for recovering from conflict situations are discussed, with links to additional resources.
- See also "Recovery from Conflict", p. 75 in the April, 2011, volume of the Journal of the International Ombudsman Association.
- Resources to support respectful behavior on campus.
- Resources and referral options for sexual assault survivors.
- Guidelines for use of social media by UI staff.
- This document lists time limits for different grievance processes available to staff, faculty and students.
- The University of Iowa offers a number of training opportunities in conflict management skills.
updated May 22, 2014