ALL STUDENT/OPEN SESSION
What are the strengths of The University of Iowa campus?
What are the weaknesses of The University of Iowa campus.
- Close to Downtown and other community areas.
- Closeness - everything close.
- Older buildings (some-Seashore/Pentacrest).
- Feeling of community - East Campus, West Campus near Medical area.
- New buildings (some).
What needs to be done to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses of The University of Iowa campus?
- Walkways/bikeways not sufficient or connected in some areas, and in parking lots-to & through.
- Access to technology.
- Parking and traffic.
- Diminishing greenspace.
- Circulation of cars, bikes, people.
- Architectural mistakes, i.e. Laser and Melrose parking structure.
- Lack of gathering places, interior and exterior.
- Festivals-Scope of Riverfest (last year Riverfest Organization, MTV style).
- Power and water plant.
- Improve walkways/bikeways in cooperation with city (through Downtown) (UC Santa Barbara).
- Bikeways and Pedestrian ways that are separated. Create bike system that encourages use.
- Eliminate autos from campus.
- Protected areas for bikes.
- Keep up with technology.
- Restore Iowa Avenue green median.
- Balance need for parking and traffic with new building need for greenspace and pedestrian movement.
Pedestrian crossing at EPB and Iowa.
ALL STUDENT/OPEN SESSION
Functional/Immediate Area View
What are the strengths of The University of Iowa campus area in which you spend most of your time?
What are the weaknesses of The University of Iowa campus area in which you spend most of your time?
- IMU, how beautiful it is.
- River and greenspace.
- Near arts (Hancher and museums.
- Close to IMU, only source of food.
- Pentacrest and downtown area.
- Nature mixed with density.
- IMU, Jessup, Pappajohn and walkway.
What needs to be done to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses of this area of The University of Iowa campus?
- Hospitals (west side), traffic flow, parking, waiting for the buses.
- EPB and communications (east side).
- Walking under the RR Bridge, muddy, dripping, puddles, ice buildup.
- Hancher parking lot sprawl and lack of pathways from lot to Alumni Center, or pathways often "mucky".
- Lack of bike accommodations.
- Cars and traffic problems.
- Bike and pedestrian conflicts.
- Sidewalks are inadequate to amounts of pedestrians.
- Keep river area safe from extensive development.
- Bike system connecting east and west, main artery over river, through to hospital area from Pentacrest.
- Fix the bridge area between library and EDB.
- Improved paths and upkeep.
- More landscape to Hancher lot.
- IMU, second walkway.
- Make Jefferson a bus terminal, like on Washington.