UI SMART Suggestion Program
WHAT KIND OF A PROGRAM IS THIS?
- This program is an opportunity for you to submit ideas and suggestions that produce a cost savings, coordinate or eliminate duplication in processes or activities, and improve the quality of an operation here at The University of Iowa.
- If your suggestion is implemented, you will recognized.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
- All current Staff and Faculty are invited and encouraged to participate in the program.
WHAT KIND OF IDEAS SHOULD I CONSIDER IF I WANT TO SUBMIT A SUGGESTION?
- Look for ideas that improve the efficiency of a department, program, or procedure; improve services that support the University; eliminate unnecessary procedures or duplication of effort; save time, money, or materials.
- Where to begin---Start by concentrating on what you know best - your own work area. However, you are not limited - you may submit suggestions that affect any part of the University. Your suggestion will be of more value if you have data and facts to support the suggestion.
- Avoid ideas that should be implemented as part of your regular work responsibilities without higher level authority; increase fees to students or employees; offer vague generalizations rather than specific recommendations; does not include a solution or plan for improvement; have already been suggested as the result of an audit, study, survey, or research; involve routine requests for maintenance, supplies, or services that could be processed through established channels; propose following established procedures which are not being followed; are currently under review; relate to personal grievances, classification, or pay issues.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A SUGGESTION?
- It's easy! Just complete a UI SMART Program suggestion form either on the web or on paper. On the web, the form is available at http://www.bo.uiowa.edu/~fushr/cqi/SMART.cfm
- The paper version is available from UI SMART Program, 121-50 USB, or from your HR Unit Representative.
- Suggestions should include:
A description of the problem to be addressed or the process to be improved
A detailed description of the solution
A description of how it will benefit the unit/division or the University
- If your suggestion is implemented, you will be recognized.
HOW ARE SUGGESTIONS EVALUATED?
- Upon receipt, all suggestions are reviewed for eligibility by the UI SMART Program coordinator.
- Suggestions are date stamped and assigned a tracking number.
- Submitters will be notified that their suggestion was received.
- UI SMART Program coordinator will then contact management in the area where the suggestion will be evaluated for possible implementation.
- Managers will evaluate the suggestions and report back to UI SMART Program coordinator within 30 days. If more time to evaluate the suggestion is needed, managers will advise the UI SMART Program coordinator, who will advise the suggestor that their idea is under consideration for an additional 30 days.
- If the suggestion is to be implemented, the department will provide the program coordinator with an implementation plan. If the suggestion will not be implemented, the department will provide the program coordinator with an explanation as to why the suggestion cannot be implemented.
- In either case, the program coordinator will contact the suggestor with the results within 10 days after receipt of the evaluation by the department.
- The program coordinator will obtain a report from the department or unit on the results of the implementation.
WHAT HAPPENS TO MY SUGGESTION IF IT IS NOT ACCEPTED FOR IMPLEMENTATION?
- You will be notified that your suggestion was not accepted for implementation. Your suggestion will be kept on file for six months the date from the date it was originally received. You will be eligible for recognition if your suggestion is adopted at any time during the period the program is in effect.
IS THERE ANY LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF SUGGESTIONS I CAN SUBMIT?
- No - submit suggestions as often as you like and encourage your co-workers to do the same.
IF I HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE PROGRAM, WHOM SHOULD I CONTACT?
- Contact Pat Kenner, UI SMART Program Coordinator, 121-50 USB, 335-0505, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY SUGGESTION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED?
- Periodically, suggestions will be published on the CQI web page and other newsletters.