.htaccess Password Generator Tool
This page enables you to generate encrypted .htaccess passwords from your desktop. It is important that you read the document http://www.uiowa.edu/~uiweb/centralserver/password.shtml for step-by-step instructions on password protecting your web pages. Establishing login security for your web folder(s) is not a difficult task but a very specific and tedious task that includes numerous steps. This generation of encrypted passwords is only a small subset of procedures that need to be done before security can be implemented.
Password Generator Steps:
- Enter the desired username below. (Note: the username is case sensitive.)
- Enter the desired password below (Note: the password is case sensitive and has an effective limit of 8 alpha-numeric characters.)
- Click OK
- A new page will display the username:password
- Copy and paste the username:password into your .htpasswd file (in your text editor). Remember each username:password must be listed on its own line. Refer to http://www.uiowa.edu/~uiweb/centralserver/password.shtml for detailed instructions.
- Press the Back button in your browser to redisplay the Password Generator page and repeat these steps for each desired username.