The College-Level Examination Program or CLEP provides students with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level proficiency in introductory courses through a series of exams. Individual institutions decide which exams will be accepted and determine credit policies. Check your institution’s test and credit policies before registering.
If you are a UI student, you must have a CLEP Eligibility form completed by your advisor to bring with you on the day of the test. Do not register for a CLEP test until your advisor has confirmed your eligibility to test.
How to Register
- Prior to test day register for your CLEP test through the College Board at CLEP Registration. Follow the prompts to create an account.
- Purchase each test ($80) using a credit card.
Be sure to read over the CLEP Exam Day Information page http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam-day-info
- Print the registration ticket and bring it with you to the test center along with your current Gov't issued Photo ID (which includes recent photo and signature).
- Your driver’s license, passport or other government-issued identification that includes your photograph and signature. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your registration ticket.
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID and Social Security card.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
- Call the Exam Service (319-335-0362) to reserve a test date and time.
Test Dates and Times
CLEP tests are offered most Wednesdays at 9:00 am, 11:30 am, and 2:00 pm. You should plan on 2 hours to complete the entire test process.
Test Center Location
The test center is located on the third floor of the Jefferson Bldg. at 129 E Washington St.
CLEP credit policies for the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the UI College of Engineering are available at UI CLEP Credit
Information on CLEP testing, study materials and the CLEP demo is available at CLEP
The University of Iowa offers all DSST exams. Call EES to schedule an appointment,
(319) 335-0362. http://getcollegecredit.com/