Annual Report to the Faculty Senate
Committee Chair: Professor Charles F. Lynch
Faculty: Chuck Lynch (Chair), Dan Anderson, Michael Cohen, Ed Wasserman, Stephen Wieting, John Solow, Claibourne Dungy, Penelope Hall, Ellen Herman, Steve McGuire, Jean Jew
Faculty Athletic Representative: Elizabeth Altmaier
Staff: John Lundell, Lisabeth Kestel (Vice Chair)
Students: Matt Walz, Shelby Roche
Alumni: Lew Montgomery, Donna Sorensen
Liaisons: University Administration (President, Provost, EOD, Student Services),
Bob Bowlsby & other athletics senior management staff
Committee Charge: The Presidential Committee on Athletics (PCA) is the advisory committee for the University President and the Director of Athletics on policies governing the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consistent with rules of the Big Ten Conference and the National Collegiate Athletics Association and consistent with the policies of the University, and the Board of Regents, State of Iowa. In addition to its duty to advise and recommend policies to the University President and Athletics Director, the Committee periodically apprises the faculty, staff, and student constituency organizations of the status of athletics and the University and nationally.
Presentation to Staff Council: February 8, 2006
Full Committee Meeting Dates: September 8, October 20, November 10, December 8, January 19,
February 16; Scheduled: March 9, April 6, May 11
Academic Achievement Advisory (Chair: Wieting)
Equity (Chair: Sorensen)
Executive (Chair: Lynch)
Finance and Facilities (Chair: Kestel) – see “did you know” attached document
Staff (Chair: Anderson)
Student Athlete Welfare (Chair: Hall)
Major Activities in addition to usual activities:
1. NCAA Certification Self-Study and Site Visit (see www.uiowa.edu/~our/ncaa-cert/report/index.htm) - Plans for Improvements (Gender-Equity, Minority-Opportunities, Supplemental to Full Report) – awaiting NCAA Certification
2. President Skorton’s Follow-up Report of the Athletics Merger Review Committee (see www.uiowa.edu/president/task-forces/athletics-merger/121405merger_response.pdf)
3. Review implementation of student-athlete code of conduct – PCA March meeting
4. Continue to monitor student-athlete academic progress within NCAA’s newly developed measures (Graduation Success Rate, Academic Progress Rates)
5. Altmaier, Lynch and Montgomery served on the search committee for a new UI athletic director, which was announced as Gary Barta by Interim President Fethke on June 23, 2006.
PCA is having a productive year with good collaboration between committee members, UI Athletics and UI Administration. PCA members will continue to be heavily utilized for successful implementation of the plans for improvement emanating from the NCAA Certification.
Recommendations to the Senate: We are in the process of identifying new PCA initiatives based on the plans for improvement from the NCAA Certification. We need committee members appointed to PCA who can attend a minimum of 4 hours worth of meetings per month and have their schedules allow enough flexibility to take on additional projects. We also need to retain experience on the PCA so we encourage you to extend appointments of those who are currently ending 3-year or less terms, provided of course that they wish to extend their appointments through completion of the Committee on Committees form.