University Business Manager

Faculty and Staff Moving

Faculty and Staff Moving Policy

Department heads may authorize payment of moving expenses for new faculty and staff members from departmental funds if they are available and have been prioritized for such use by the dean or vice president. Refer to the Move Policy in the Operations Manual (Part V, Chapter 11.10b) for complete information.

Moving Companies

The University has an agreement for moving services with three preferred vendors.  You may obtain an estimate from one or all.

When you speak to them, let them know you will be joining The University of Iowa faculty.

The three are:

  • Maher Brothers Transfer and Storage -- contact Michelle Hilton at: (800) 397-1296 or (319) 730-0191. Download/View brochure (pdf)

  • Hawkeye Moving Service – contact Jill Gerot (Dan Gerot for overseas) at:  (800) 397‑3700 or (319) 688-5440. 

  • Ace Allied Moving and Storage - contact Brenda Millstead at
    (800) 333-8647 or (515) 225-6464. Download/View brochure

Any moving contract you sign will be between you and the moving company.  If you would prefer to use another moving company or have any additional questions, please call the moving coordinator, Cathy Fountain, (319) 335‑0082, directly and discuss your options.

We hope your move goes smoothly.


Moving Authorization Form

The Department may print the following form, complete, and send to the Business Manager's Office to authorize payment of moving expenses.

Moving Yourself

SELF MOVE your way to go???????

If you’re planning to move yourself, we offer a few helpful tips in order to be reimbursed your allotted amount. Complete documentation is required for reimbursement. Check out our tips on self moving.



Business Manager is a department within the Finance and Operations organization.