University Business Manager

Self Move your way to go??

If you're planning to move yourself here are a few helpful tips in order to be reimbursed your allotted amount.

Complete documentation is required for reimbursement.

  • Your Department Head notifies the University Business Manager, in writing, of the department's intention to pay faculty or staff moving expenses. This notification includes your name, address, social security number, telephone number, rank, date of appointment, amount of moving allowance, and the departmental account to be charged.

  • You will need to submit the original receipts for:

    • rental of truck and any other equipment rented

    • gas for vehicles used in the move

    • packing materials: boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.

    • toll road fees

    • outside companies used to dismantle/pack/load/unload/assemble/move (marked paid)


  • If payment is made to an individual (cannot be a family member) for assistance in dismantling/packing/loading/unloading/assembling we will need:

    • Name

    • social security number

    • address and telephone number

    • dollar amount paid

    • type of work done

    • signature of worker

    • proof of payment (cancelled check, bank statement, credit card statement)

Once you have all of your receipts together (taped to 8.5"x11" sheet) submit them to Cathy Fountain, University of Iowa Business Manager's Office, 301 USB, for processing. Reimbursement will take approximately three to four weeks after submission.

If you have any questions regarding a self-move you may contact Cathy Fountain at (319) 335-0082 or .



Business Manager is a department within the Finance and Operations organization.