Enterprise Risk Management Committee
The University of Iowa ERM Committee reports to:
- Doug True, Senior Vice President Finance & Operations and Treasurer
- Carroll Reasoner, Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel
- P. Barry Butler, Executive Vice President and Provost
|Mary Jane Beach||Assistant Vice President and Director, Business Services|
|David Grady||Associate Vice President and Dean of Students|
|Chuck Green||Assistant Vice President and Director, Public Safety|
|Terry Johnson||Associate Vice President and University Controller|
|James Jorgensen||Deputy Counsel, Office of General Counsel|
|Edward Nobles||Assistant Director Risk Management|
|Donna Pearcy||Chief Risk Officer|
|Tom Rice||Associate Provost|
|Richard Saunders||Assistant Vice President for Human Resources|
|John Staley||Senior Associate Director UI Hospitals and Clinics|
|Todd Stewart||Chief Audit Executive|
|James Walker||Associate Vice President for Research|
ERM Committee Mission and Initiatives
To help ensure the future viability of the University of Iowa, the Enterprise Risk Management Committee will assess enterprise risk areas, develop enterprise risk management strategies, recommend institutional policies related to controlling risks and promote a culture that identifies risk management as a consideration when executing and planning enterprise activities.
Create a risk aware culture among responsible University of Iowa employees that promotes and integrates principled decision making to establish acceptable risks in all of the University's education, research, outreach and service endeavors.
- The Committee is focusing on areas that are determined to present the greatest institutional risk. Its work will support risk assessment and mitigation by all University employees, with special emphasis on administrators in charge of large units. The Committee will identify and assess the strategic, operational, financial, compliance and reputational risks of the institution.
- A key factor with the identification, evaluation and mitigation of risks is to not only manage risks but to promote the growth and strategic initiatives of the entire organization. To view risks holistically as an organization and work together across boundaries to maximize potential opportunities while managing institutional risks.
Initiatives of the ERM committee:
- The Committee is meeting with administrators across campus to create awareness of ERM and to gain insight on possible risks.
- International travel and minors on campus are two specific enterprise wide issues that are being examined
- Meetings are planned with content experts who work with managing various types of risks such as threats of violence, catastrophic interruption of utilities, etc. to assist these experts in the identification and assessment of institutional risks.
- The Committee is especially interested in identifying risks that are largely unrecognized.