Areas of Coverage

Property Insurance

General Fund Supported Facilities

The University may seek reimbursement of property losses in excess of $5,000 from the State of Iowa pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 29C:20. Money from the state contingent fund may be requested for repairing, rebuilding, or restoring state property injured, destroyed, or lost by fire, storm, theft, or unavoidable cause. Losses must be reported within 48 hours.

The University purchases commercial catastrophic property insurance covering academic/general funded facilities with a single incident deductible of $2,000,000, for which the State provides payment pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 29C:20.

Equipment Loss Fund (FREC)

Departments may seek reimbursement for equipment losses from theft or other unavoidable cause through the FREC Equipment Loss Fund, administered by the Risk Management and Insurance Department. A $500 departmental deductible will apply. Contact the Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention for further information: (319) 335-0536.

Self-Supporting, Auxiliary Operations & Facilities

The University maintains conventional property insurance on self-supporting, revenue-producing, and auxiliary facilities which are an integral part of the operations of the University. Insured facilities include the residence halls, University Hospitals and Clinics, the utility system, Iowa Memorial Union, the Museum of Art Fine Art, athletic facilities, and other auxiliary operations.

Property insurance generally covers loss by fire, lightning, smoke, theft, explosion, wind, and hail. Deductibles vary from $1,000 to $250,000.

Top of page


Iowa Code, Chapter 669:

The University of Iowa is an agency of the State of Iowa and as such, is self-insured for liability. Claims against the State of Iowa are handled as provided in the Iowa Tort Claims Act (Iowa Code, Chapter 669) which also sets forth the procedures by which tort claims may be brought.

Under Chapter 669, claims may be filed against the State on account of wrongful death, personal injury or property damage (including reasonable attorney fees) incurred by reason of the negligence of the University or its employees while acting within the scope of employment.

The State will defend, indemnify and hold the University and its employees harmless against any and all tort claims under the U.S. Constitution, statutes or rules of the United States and/or any other state, but will not cover willful or wanton acts, omissions or malfeasance in office.

Commercial Liability Insurance:

In general, the University of Iowa does not purchase commercial liability insurance. Instead, the University relies on certain statutory protections for the University or its employees pursuant to the Code of Iowa, Chapter 669.

The University may purchase liability insurance or participate in self-insured liability pooling or other arrangements for medical professional liability, motor vehicle liability, or other liability if required by statute, contract, or special circumstance. Refer questions, requests for insurance, or certification regarding liability insurance and self-insurance programs to the Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention: (319) 335-0110.

Claims and Incident Reporting

Liability claims against the University of Iowa are handled through the State Appeal Board claim process. A State Appeal Board Tort Claim Form must consist of three (3) notarized originals and be filed with the State Appeal Board (address on form).

State Appeal Board Claim and Affidavit

Top of page

Liquor Liability

The University of Iowa holds a Class C liquor permit from the State of Iowa, Alcoholic Beverage Division and is licensed to sell and serve alcoholic beverages through the Iowa Memorial Union Food Service. All sales or services must be contracted through that department.

The University of Iowa is prohibited from service or sale of any alcoholic beverage off campus, in residence halls, parking lots, or any outdoor areas except as specifically licensed. Service or sale of alcoholic beverages is restricted to specific buildings on campus. Contact Vice President for Student Services and Dean of Students for information regarding licensed locations.

Please refer to Chapter V-26 of the University Operations Manual for the guidelines regarding alcoholic beverage services.

Top of page

Fidelity (Theft)

The University of Iowa is insured under the State of Iowa's blanket fidelity bond which provides coverage for theft of state property by a state employee. The University of Iowa also maintains a self-insured program for robbery and theft of money. Departments have a deductible; please contact Risk Management department, 319/335-0536.


Because theft is a criminal act, all thefts must be reported to Public Safety immediately
319/335-5022. If the loss occurs off campus, report it to the local police department. Contact the Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention regarding claims: 319/335-0536.

Top of page

Motor Vehicles


Primary Liability (University Vehicles)

The University of Iowa participates with other Iowa Board of Regents Institutions in the Iowa Regents Motor Vehicle Self-Insurance Program for liability on motor vehicles. The program responds to liability claims for property damage or bodily injury arising from an accident involving University vehicles where the University driver was more than 50% negligent. Claims are processed pursuant to the Iowa Tort Claims Act, Chapter 669 of the Code of Iowa.

Physical Damage Coverage

The Regents Motor Vehicle Self-Insurance Program includes coverage for comprehensive and collision damage to University vehicles, subject to a $500 deductible per loss. The deductible will be assessed to the department.


Excess Liability and Physical Damage Coverage (Non-Owned, Borrowed, Personal Vehicles)

For non-owned (including rentals, personal, or borrowed) vehicles, the Regents Motor Vehicle Self-Insurance Program will apply only as an excess liability coverage. The University's travel reimbursement program includes a provision for insurance expenses in the mileage rate calculation for personal vehicle use. In an accident, the non-owned vehicle owner must look to their own automobile insurance coverage as the primary insurance.

The University's excess liability coverage will apply when the driver was an authorized University employee on University business at the time of the loss, and the vehicle owner's policy has been exhausted. The $500 deductible will be assessed to the department for physical damage claims.

The University will not reimburse an employee, or other private owner, or their insurer for any deductible or liability claim paid by their auto insurance policy, or for any damage to the vehicle.

In the event you are involved in an accident in a non-owned, private, or borrowed vehicle while you are conducting University business, report the accident immediately to:

Reporting Motor Vehicle Accidents

University drivers are required to report any accident or incident of damage related to the use or operation of University vehicles within 48 hours. A personal injury accident should be reported immediately. Accidents involving University vehicles* should be reported to the Manager of the Motor Pool: (319) 335-5088. "Hit and run" and vandalism incidents are criminal incidents and should be reported within 24 hours to the UI Department of Public Safety: (319) 335-5022 (or police, if off campus).

The driver must complete an Iowa Regents Vehicle Accident Report and attach a copy of the police report and completed State Report (SR.21 or SR.22) if one is required. A State Report is required when the total combined damage to the vehicles is $500 or more, or a personal injury is involved. Completed reports should be forwarded to the Motor Pool within 48 hours of the incident. Cambus accidents should be reported directly to the Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention: (319) 335-0010.

All Regents institutions' vehicle accidents are investigated and adjusted through the State Accident Advisor/Risk Manager, State of Iowa, Department of General Services (Vehicle Dispatch).

Top of page

Rental Vehicles

University of Iowa employees are covered under the Board of Regents, State of Iowa Motor Vehicle Self-Insurance Program for automobile liability, comprehensive and collision coverage while on approved University business.

The National Car Rental Agency is the preferred car rental agency for The University of Iowa. Please follow these standards when using National Car Rental:

Use the University’s Discount ID 5004461
Do not purchase insurance

When a National Car Rental vehicle is not available:

Auto Liability Insurance – if not provided with vehicle, buy the minimum amount.
CDW; LDW – Damage Waiver: Do not purchase, the Regents’ program self insures this coverage.

Use of another rental agency when National is available:

Check with your personal auto insurer for coverage or purchase the basic liability coverage at your own expense.

Personal Use of Rental Vehicle:

If you use a rental agency other than National and use the car for personal use, check with your personal auto insurer for coverage.

Injuries to University employees while traveling on University business are covered under Workers’ Compensation. Contact: Staff Benefits 353.2375

Reporting Accidents – Personal or Non-Owned Vehicles:

In the event you are involved in an accident in a non-owned, rental, private or borrowed vehicle while you are conducting University business, report the accident immediately to:

Risk Management
430 Plaza Centre One
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242

Other Contact Information:

Travel Department: 319.335.0113
Risk Management 319.335.0010
(To verify coverage or report a claim)

Top of Page