Contracting authority for the University of Iowa is limited to the Board of Regents, the President, and specified individuals or offices (Vice President for Research, Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations, University Business Manager, Director of Purchasing). The majority of departments do NOT have contracting authority.
Contact the Office of General Counsel for information regarding authorized contracting authority.
Insurance Requirements, Hold Harmless and Indemnification Language
Staff in the Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention review contracts submitted for the Business Manager's signature, for the purpose of identifying risks and administering insurance requirements.
Contracts commonly include insurance requirements to cover liability and property loss exposures of the parties. As a general rule, the University does not purchase commercial liability insurance, but is "self-insured" for tort liability. A Certificate of Self-Insurance can be provided by Risk Management.
The University's self-insurance will not provide indemnity to third parties. The University may not name others as additional insureds and in general, may not agree to hold harmless arrangements.
The following is provided only for general information and is not intended to represent the actual insurance requirements for any current or future contract with the University of Iowa. Refer directly to the final contract documents for actual insurance requirements applicable to any contracted work.
The University of Iowa reserves the right to change, waive, or require additional insurance in the negotiation of any contract, as it deems in its best interest. Contact the Director of Risk Management, Insurance and Loss Prevention regarding questions on specific contract language, liability issues and insurance requirements related to professional services, property or equipment installation, equipment leases, air/bus charter travel, construction activities, environmental risks, special events/rides, fireworks, etc.
STANDARD INSURANCE COVERAGE REQUIREMENTS
Contractor shall purchase from and maintain with a company or companies lawfully authorized to do business in the State of Iowa such insurance as will protect the Contractor from claims set forth below which may arise out of or result from the Contractor's operations under the contract and for which the Contractor may be legally liable, whether such operations be by the Contractor or by a Subcontractor. Contractor's liability insurance shall be primary over and above any insurance of the University. Insurance shall cover all:
- claims under workers' compensation, disability benefit and other similar employee benefit acts, including claims for damages because of bodily injury, occupational sickness or disease, or death of the Contractor's employees;
- claims for damages because of bodily injury, sickness or disease, or death of any person other than the Contractor's employees, and claims for property damages, because of damage or destruction of tangible property, including loss of use resulting therefrom;
- claims for damages because of bodily injury, death, or property damage arising out of ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle.
Insurance must be maintained for the duration of the contract, in the following types and minimum amounts:
- Workers' Compensation and occupational disease insurance in compliance with statutory requirements, for employees who perform any operations under the Contract; and Employer's Liability of no less than $500,000 per employee, $500,000 per incident.
- Commercial General Liability of no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence including contractual liability.
- Automobile Liability insurance on any vehicle, including owned, non-owned, hired, borrowed; in limits not less than $1,000,000 per accident.
Such liability insurance required above shall name the State of Iowa, Board of Regents, State of Iowa and University of Iowa as an additional insured.
Contractor agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the University of Iowa, State of Iowa, and Board of Regents, State of Iowa for any and all claims, damages, losses, costs and expenses, including attorney fees, arising out of or resulting from Contractor's activities under the Contract. The University shall not participate in any deductible or retention of Contractor's insurance.
Contractor's insurers shall waive all rights of subrogation against University of Iowa, State of Iowa, and Board of Regents, State of Iowa for any claims paid under Contractor's insurance policies. Contractor shall furnish University of Iowa (3) copies of Certificate of Insurance as evidence of compliance with the above requirements prior to beginning work and thereafter as often as policies are renewed or replaced. Certificates shall specify name of the project, services or event and provide no less than 30 days notice of non-renewal or cancellation.
Send certificates to:
Department of Risk Management, Insurance & Loss Prevention
The University of Iowa
430 Plaza Centre One
Iowa City, Iowa 52242