Disability Can Be Life Changing
Course # WISK5E
Disability can be life changing and is on the rise. Supporting persons with disabilities to be at work when medically able is a crucial component in creating a positive workplace culture. This class will discuss when disability and/leave situations exist, why it is important to respond strategically using best practices, and why disability may have an effect on department practices and peers.
Objectives: (At the end of this course participants will be able to)
- Develop an understanding of when disability and/or leave situations exist.
- Introduce recommended best practices.
- Discuss why it is important to respond strategically .
- Explain why varied peer reactions are sometimes exhibited in the workplace and provide an overview of appropriate responses.
- Describe why Human Resources is vital to the person with a disability.
Participants: (audience course is designed to reach)
This course is one of five electives in addition to the four core courses in the WISK Series. WISK core courses must be completed prior to elective enrollment.
This course will appeal to a variety of people in various positions across the university – staff or administrators – who want to have a greater understanding of how human resource practices support the recruitment and retention of talent necessary for the University to be successful.