National Coalition Building Institute: Leadership for Diversity and Inclusion
Course # 590
This is a highly interactive one-day workshop in which participants work on developing pride in their own identities, explore their “records” about other groups as well as about their own identities, listen to stories and experiences of other groups, and practice engaging hurtful comments, jokes, or slurs.
- Social and group identities;
- Perceptions and assumptions;
- Impact of –isms on our sense of self;
- Dialoguing across difference;
- Listening to others’ stories and experiences;
- Engaging hurtful jokes, comments and slurs
Objectives: (At the end of this course participants will be able to)
- Celebrate the similarities and differences that exist in the room.
- Recognize the misinformation that people have learned about various groups.
- Identify and heal from internalized oppression.
- Claim pride in group identity.
- Understand the personal impact of discrimination through the telling of stories.
- Learn hands-on tools for dealing effectively with bigoted comments and behavior.
Participants: (audience course is designed for)
Any Faculty, Staff, TAs, students – all are welcome in the session