Supervising International Students for Success
Course # 627
Will you be supervising international student employees? If so, this course is for you. International students are a tremendous resource to our campus. Awareness of both the benefits and challenges of cross-cultural supervision will help both supervisors and the students develop productive, positive, and collaborative working relationships. This session will be packed full of practical information as well as strategies for applying what you have learned.
Objectives: (At the end of this course participants will be able to)
- Articulate a brief overview of the international population at UI
- Aware of issues, with examples, that typically occur when supervising across cultures
- Understand intercultural communication challenges often experiences in the UI workplace
- Develop productive working relationships across cultures
- Identify UI and community support services useful for international students
Participants: (audience course is designed to reach)
This is an elective course for the Supervising Today’s Students certificate program. It is intended for UI faculty and staff supervisors who supervise undergraduate student employees. All STS courses are open to all regardless of participation in the certificate program.