Course Catalog >> Workplace Effectiveness
Accents in the Workplace and Education: Intercultural Experiences
Course # 464
(AWE Series Course)
This course will focus on learning to manage language anxiety, opening discussion of stereotypes, fears, snap judgments, and false perceptions of people with accents, and exploring what it means to have civil and respectful interactions with speakers of other languages.
- Language anxiety
- Civil and respectful interactions
- Co-cultural exchanges
- Feelings of belonging
- Constructively think about or manage language anxiety in oneself or others.
- Understand ways to monitor and improve co-cultural exchanges in which oneself or others are involved.
- Utilize techniques to encourage learning comfort zones in academic or work environments.
- Know strategies to increase feelings of belonging in English Language Learners.
Participants: (audience course is designed for):
General customer service providers (front-line staff, advisors), those in the academic environment (faculty, TA's, and students), managers (DEO's, supervisors).