Queer Campus Survival Guide

Read our Queer Campus Survival Guide Here!



Where can I get tested for an STD?

There are several places in Iowa City where you can be tested for STDs and HIV, They are listed below. However, it is good to note that all students have free access to the Student Health Center.
If you are looking specifically for free HIV testing, you should visit Johnson County Public Health and schedule a free rapid HIV test by calling 319.688.5890.

UI Student Health
4189 Westlawn South
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52242-1100
Student Health Website

IC Free Medical Clinic
2440 Towncrest Drive,
Iowa City, IA 52240
Free Med Clinic's Website

Emma Goldman Clinic
227 N. Dubuque Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
Emma Goldman Clinic's Website

Where can I get free protection?

Free protection can be found at many locations and events in Iowa City. Virtually all GLBTAU events have a display or table with protection available. Additionally, Student Health and many area resources such as WRAC and the LGBT Resource Center located behind Slater Hall, provide free protection as well.

Are there counseling or therapy services for GLBT Issues?

Yes, there are several locations in Iowa City where you can attend counseling, therapy sessions, or support groups. Our strongest recommendation for students is to attend University Counseling Services. The entire staff has been trained to handle GLBT issues, and there are also several GLBT identified councilors.

University Counseling Service
3223 Westlawn S.
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1100
Phone: (319) 335-7294
Fax: (319) 335-7298
Web: http://www.uiowa.edu/ucs/

Where can I go for help with substance abuse?

Gay friendly AA meetings in Eastern Iowa
LGBT AA Meeting, Sundays at 5:00 p.m., at 500 N. Clinton St., Iowa City (basement of the First Baptist Church)

Rainbow Group, Fridays at 7 p.m., at Riverside Methodist, 712 16th St., Moline, IL

Diversity Group, Thursdays at 6:30 p.m., at MCC, 3019 N. Harrison, Davenport

There are many other LGBT friendly AA meetings in Iowa City, but the 5:00 Sunday meeting is the only LGBT specific meeting in IC. For further information about this meeting or about the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, please phone the Iowa City Intergroup and 24-Hour Answering Service: (319) 338-9111. Or, visit the AA-IC website: http://aa-ic.org/

Student Health Services
4189 Westlawn South
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Diane McGraw: Substance Abuse Counselor
To make appt: Ph# 335-8394.

Chemical Dependency Services
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
5 Boyd Tower
200 Hawkins Dr
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
Darrell Kirby: Social Worker
To make appt or talk: 319-384-8765
(Between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Or toll free at 1-877-384-8765

The Pride Institute
LGBT specific treatment
14400 Martin Drive
Eden Prairie, MN

Where can I get information on Rape or Sexual Abuse?

The Rape Victim Advocacy Program (RVAP) is available to all members of the community, and can assist in directing a number of services including police notification and medical care.

Rape Victim Advocacy Program
332 S. Linn Street, Suite 100 (0279 LSP),
Iowa City, IA 52240
Crisis Line (24/7): (319) 335-6000
Business Line: (319) 335-6001