21 August 2013
Congratulations to Melissa Moreton, who has been awarded the D.C. Spriesterbach Dissertation Prize for her dissertation "'Scritto di bellissima lettera': Nuns' Book Production in 15th and 16th century Italy."
MEDIEVAL EVENTS THIS SEMESTER
28 February 2013
The Iowa Forum for Graduate Medievalists is pleased to announce that the University of Iowa will host two guest medieval historians this spring semester.
We're excited to welcome such interesting scholars to campus, and hope that you will join us!
- Thursday, 7 March. Professor Richard C. Hoffmann (York University, Toronto). "Higher Authority: the State, Private Rights, and the 'Common Good' in Late Medieval Resource Management." 4:00-6:00p.m., UCC1117. [Facebook Event Page]
- Thursday, 7 March. Medievalist Pot Luck Dinner. Open to all history graduate students and medievalist faculty. 6:15p.m., 1415 Cedar Street. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, 8 March. "Possible Sources for Environmental History" Roundtable Discussion. With Professor Richard C. Hoffmann (York University, Toronto), Tyler Priest (University of Iowa), Constance H. Berman (University of Iowa) and James Giblin (University of Iowa). 1:00-2:00p.m., 280 SH. [Facebook Event Page]
- Thursday, 2 May. Professor Christopher Schabel (University of Cyprus). "Pope Honorius III (1216-27) and the Greek East." 4:00-6:00p.m., 302 SH. [Facebook Event Page]
19 September 2012
The Iowa Forum for Graduate Medievalists is pleased to announce that it will host two guest speakers this fall semester.
We're excited to inaugurate our IFGM Lecture Series by welcoming such accomplished scholars to campus, and hope that you will join us!
- Wednesday, 24 October. Professor Michelle Herder (Cornell College). "The Troubles of Vilanera: Monastic Decline and Failure in Fourteenth-Century Spain." 3:00-5:00p.m., 302SH. [Facebook Event Page]
- Friday, 9 November. Dr. Hilary E. Fox (University of Chicago). " Eadswith's Madness: Mental Illness, Self, and Community in Old English." 3:00-5:00p.m., 302SH. [Facebook Event Page] Dr. Fox's talk will be preceded by a Brown Bag Lunch with graduate students, from 1:00-2:15p.m. in 273SH (History Conference Room).
latin reading and paleography group
17 September 2012
Beginning September 21, the IFGM will host an informal weekly Latin reading and palaeography workgroup. Members are encouraged to bring along their transcription or translation projects to share with the group. A projector and document camera will be available. Meetings will be held from 10:30-11:20a.m. each Friday in 3 Schaeffer Hall.
1 September 2012Minutes for our most recent meeting are now online. You can find them at this link. (Adobe Acrobat or other .pdf reader required.)
25 August 2012
Welcome back to all our members! Our first meeting of the Fall Semester will be held this coming Friday, 31 August, at 3p.m. in 302 Schaeffer Hall (Commons). All members are encouraged to attend as we will be working on plans for this semester's seminars and lectures. Please join us!
Digital Technology Seminar
25 April 2012
Many thanks to all those who attended yesterday's seminar on
technology for the graduate medievalist! It was wonderful to have
such an interdisciplinary turnout, and we hope this was just the
first in a series of such sessions. You can find a copy of the
session's handout at this
link (Adobe Acrobat or other .pdf reader required.)
24 April 2012
Congratulations to members Gabriel Baker (History) and Yvonne Seale
(History), recipients of 2012 Stanley Graduate Awards for
International Research! These awards will support their research in
Italy and France respectively this summer.
Minutes and Events
6 April 2012
Minutes for our most recent meeting are now available online. You can find them at this link. (Adobe Acrobat or other .pdf reader required.) Our calendar has also been updated with a list of events to be held this semester. Please check them out, and we hope you will join us!
3 April 2012
We will have our second Spring Members' meeting this coming Friday, April 6th, at 2:00p.m. All members are encouraged to attend if possible, as we will be finalizing dates for the seminars this semester, and working on plans for next semester's schedule. Join us at 273SH (the Department of History conference room).
26 March 2012
Congratulations to member Kristi DiClemente (History) on receiving the Gordon Prange Dissertation Fellowship for 2012! This Fellowship will help to support Kristi's research into marriage disputes in a 15th century Parisian bishop's court.
26 March 2012
Congratulations to member Heather Wacha (History) on receiving this year's Leger-Anderson Fellowship! This Fellowship will help to support Heather's research into cartulary construction in 12th and 13th century Picardy.
18 March 2012
Minutes for our most recent meeting are now online. You can find them at this link. (Adobe Acrobat or other .pdf reader required.)
Spring Members' Meeting
14 March 2012
A reminder that our Spring Members' meeting will be held this Sunday, March 18th, at 11a.m. We will be deciding on an agenda for the upcoming year, so all members are encouraged to attend. Join us at Fairgrounds Coffeehouse (S. Dubuque and Court Street, just around the corner from the Greyhound stop), for brunch and conversation.
8 March 2012
Welcome to the relaunched website for the Iowa Forum for Graduate Medievalists, which we hope will grow over time to be a resource for members of the University of Iowa community who work on all aspects of the medieval world. Feel free to look around, and to get in touch with suggestions for how we can expand the website to be most useful for our visitors.
3 March 2012
The Iowa Forum for Graduate Medievalists now has a Twitter account! Check us out and follow us at IowaGradMed for updates on lectures, events and informal get-togethers organized by the society, as well as links of interests to medieval scholars.