Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance provides coverage at all times for most accidents that occur on or off the job, at home or away, anywhere in the world. However, there are some exclusions listed in the master policy.
Coverage is available in $100,000 increments up to a maximum of $1,000,000 for:
- Plan I
- Staff Member only
- Plan II
- Staff member and spouse or domestic partner
- Your spouse or domestic partner is covered at 60% of your benefit
- Plan III
- Staff member and children (dependents may be covered through the end of the year in which they turn 26 or when a full-time student or when disabled if the disability existed while a covered dependent)
- Each dependent's coverage is 20% of your benefit up to a maximum of $100,000
- Plan IV
- Staff member and family (dependents may be covered through the end of the year in which they turn 26 or when a full-time student or when disabled if the disability existed while a covered dependent)
- Your spouse or domestic partner's coverage is 60% of
your benefit and each eligible dependent's coverage is
20% of your benefit up to a maximum of $100,000
Dual University of Iowa employed spouses/partners and any dependents may not double insure each other or dependents. An individual may only be included once under this policy.
Dependent children must be at least 14 days old and are covered through the end of the year in which they turn 26, unless a full-time student or disabled. If your child is disabled and classified as a dependent for tax purposes, there is no maximum age for coverage.
Changes in Who Is Covered and Amount of Coverage
Changes in coverage such as adding or deleting your spouse, domestic partner, and/or dependants from your coverage can only be made during the annual enrollment period or within 30 days of a significant change in family status as a result of any of the following events:
- Marriage/Domestic Partner affidavit or divorce/termination of domestic partner agreement
- Death of a spouse or domestic partner or child
- Birth or adoption of a child
- An approved leave of absence
- Change of employment for yourself or spouse or domestic partner or dependent.
- Dependent no longer eligible.
Staff members may name their beneficiary (or beneficiaries) and may change the beneficiary at any time by completing the proper form available at the University Benefits Office. Any change of beneficiary will not become effective until recorded by the University.
The rates are:
Singles = $2.00 per $100,000 per month
Employee/Spouse = $2.80 per $100,000 per month
Employee/Children = $2.30 per $100,000 per month
Family = $3.10 per $100,000 per month