The University of Iowa and AFSCME Local 12
Labor Management Committee Meeting
November 17, 2009
Present: Tim Cook, Kevin Ward, Shannon Bartlett, Suzanne Hilleman, Deb Conger, John Stellmach, Laurie Hathaway, Bonnie Anderson, Joe Marron and Todd Taylor.
Absent: Dave Bergeon, Mark Atwood and Jim Schepker.
The September minutes were approved after minor corrections.
- Kevin went over the preliminary numbers. Approximately half of all early retirements have been approved. Very few phased retirements have been approved.
- General Campus has approved significantly more applications. They can spread the cost over five years. UIHC has to recognize the cost upfront because of their accrual accounting procedure.
- Employees have 45 days to sign the papers once they are approved.
UIHC Time Clock System:
- SEIU employees have 12 minutes to reach worksite after clocking in; Merit employees have 6 minutes. It was suggested that management see if it is possible to get to worksite during that timeframe at peak times of the day.
- It currently is a test system. They anticipate having more time clocks once it is being utilized by all employees.
Break and Lunch Period Update:
- Situation at UIHC is better.
- Hillcrest Dining has set break times. Employees should organize their work around their breaks and notify their supervisor if there is a problem.
UIHC Solicitation of Patients Update:
- Has been deferred indefinitely.
Budget Cut Approved by Regents:
- Reviewed President Mason’s proposal to the Board of Regents.
- Does not include $17,000,000 cut at UIHC
Safety Shoe Policy:
- Employees now need to purchase shoes and be reimbursed. It was pointed out that some employees cannot afford to spend $90 on shoes and then wait for reimbursement.
UIHC Disneyland Trip:
- Are not sure if the trip is still in the works.
Resources for Reassigned or Laid-Off Employees:
- The Employee and Labor Relations web site has a checklist for affected staff with a plethora of information.
Submitted by Laurie Hathaway
December 15, 2009