The University of Iowa and AFSCME Local 12
Labor Management Committee Meeting
February 16, 2010
Present: Andy Cooper, John Stellmach, Laurie Hathaway, Mark Atwood, Deb Conger, Joe Marron, Josey Bathke, Kevin Ward, Tim Cook, Shannon Bartlett, Suzanne Hilleman, Jim Schepker.
Decision regarding Early Retirement package that was presented to the Board of Regents was deferred. The state program does not include the Board of Regents institutions.
Mandatory Unpaid Days (MUD) Implementation:
Discussed issues surrounding the scheduling of MUD days and the concern regarding the problems if employees wait to take MUD days at the end of the fiscal year. University will assess progress at the end of February and send a report to Board of Regents to discuss with Danny Homan in March.
Sexual Harassment Policy Revisions:
Jonathan Carlson will be attending the next Labor Management meeting scheduled for Tuesday, March 16 seeking feedback on proposed policy changes. The policy revision will be presented to President Mason after getting campus feedback.
Status of Iowa Memorial Union (IMU):
No decision about the IMU maintenance function has been made to date. A conversation with Facilities Management about assuming maintenance operations (not custodial) is on-going with any change effective July 1.
In July 2011, IMU Dining will merge with University Housing. No intent to eliminate positions but there may be need to reallocate staff. Information is being distributed by a website, town hall meetings and a hotline.
Discussed grievance process and who stewards should talk to regarding investigation/grievances and site visits and present hard copy of grievance. Josey Bathke will confer with Senior Human Resources Representatives.
Decentralization of UIHC:
More information will be gathered regarding new clinics in Coralville, Riverside and QuickCare offices.
Updated Stewards List and Newly Elected AFSCME:
John will be sending an updated steward list with the names of stewards that can service grievances. Andy Cooper replaced Larry Bartlett as Executive Vice President and he will be distributing the cases to the stewards. The list will be updated and sent to University Human Resources after GRIP training scheduled for May 15, 2010.
Question was raised about the ability to refer to stewards within the employees department – John will review and report back with the process to use.
- Question was raised regarding badges and timekeeping. An update will be made about ELMS at the March 16 meeting.
- Question was raised about the ability to give preference to existing staff to move and stay full-time if vacancy is posted at 90%. Other questions regarding changing from 90% to 100% and the change in the practice of 100% positions will be discussed at the next meeting.
- Laurie Hathaway would like to acknowledge the Parking and Transportation department for a job well done. This acknowledgment would be in regards to the improvement in the maintenance of the parking lots and the decrease in Workers’ Comp injuries.
- Next Time – Will have update on break time practices for the March 16 meeting
- Working@IOWA – A question was asked about merit staff focus groups. The groups have not been repeated to date.
March 16, 2010, 2:00-3:30 pm, 202 USB