The following is a list of resources available on campus, in the surrounding community and on the internet. This list is by no means complete. We suggest you look at the Safe Zone and GLBTAU pages and/or Iowa City Pride pages for further information.
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Allied Union (GLBTAU)
- (100 IMU, 319-384-3412). A recognized student organization that meets on a regular basis; offers community networking information and programs for LGBTA students.
- (319-337-7661). A social/activist group for bi/les/queer/dyke-identified women in graduate school.
- Human Rights Committee
- (319-335-3557). Presidential charter committee charged with advising the University community on the implementation of the UI Human Rights Policy, which includes nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Staff and Faculty Association
- (319-335-1965 voice, 335-0697 text). A confidential phone line sponsored by the Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity for UI students, staff and faculty interested in accessing on-campus resources pertaining to LGBT issues.
- The University of Iowa Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity
- (202 Jessup Hall, 319-335-0705 voice, 335-0697 text). Responsible for the University's compliance with internal policies, including the UI Human Rights Policy, and with federal and state nondiscrimination and affirmative action laws. Also provides educational programs and resources regarding issues facing the LGBT community.
- Sexuality Studies Program
- (210 JB, 319-335-3884). Academic program which offers an undergraduate certificate for completing 18 semester hours of interdisciplinary coursework in topics related to human sexuality and sexual identities. Contact Laura Kastens for more details.
- Student Health Services
- (319-335-8370). Provides primary and specialized healthcare to UI students. Offers a women's health clinic and educational materials specific to lesbian and gay health issues.
- University Counseling Service
- (330 WL, 319-335-7294). Sponsors 'coming out' support group, individual counseling and services geared toward LGBT populations. The web page has sections for students and faculty/staff.
- University Benefits Office
- (202 EL, 319-335-2676). Responsible for overseeing the University's staff benefits program, which includes the ability to insure the same-sex domestic parters of UI Professional & Scientific staff and faculty.
- University of Iowa Center for Human Rights
- Women's Resource and Action Center (WRAC)
- (130 N. Madison, 319-335-1486). Sponsors a 'coming out' group and several LGBT-related support groups. Publishes a monthly newsletter featuring a calendar of events.
- The LGBTTQI Aging in Johnson County Resource Guide
- Compiled by the Visibility Action Team, the manual's purpose is to provide LGBTTQI agin adults and their caregivers with informatioin about important aging topics, especially those unique to the LGBTTQI community
- Emma Goldman Clinic for Women
- (227 N. Dubuque St., 319-337-2111). Nonjudgemental information and health services Co-sponsors an annual Lesbian Health Night with the Free Medical Clinic.
- Healthy and Positive Interventions (HAPI)
- (319-356-6040). A coalition of community agencies and individuals concerned about providing accurate information about HIV, promoting a compassionate response and preventing further spread of the disease.
- Iowa City PRIDE Committee
- (319-335-1486). Committee of community/campus volunteers which coordinates activities for the annual LGBT Pride celebration in June.
- Iowa City Bi-Group
- A discussion and support group for bisexual people and people exploring their sexuality. Group provides bi-community and meets bi-monthly. Call the Women's Resource and Action Center, 319-335-1486.
- Iowa City Free Medical Clinic
- (2440 Towncrest Dr., Appointments: 319-337-4459). Nonjudgmental free healthcare, including free HIV testing and STD screening for eligible patients.
- Iowa City Human Rights Commission
- (410 E. Washington St., 319-356-5022). Charged with implementing the City's Human Rights ordinance which includes protection against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. Distributes their landmark film on transexual issues.
- Iowa Families Valued!
- (319-335-2411). A social/networking group for families headed by same-sex partners, lesbian/gay parents and their children.
- Johnson County Department of Public Health
- (1105 Gilbert Ct., 319-356-6040). Safer sex prevention and education programs for gays and lesbians, including the Men Supporting Men program for men who have sex with men.
- LGBT AA Meeting
- Meets every Sunday, 5:00 p.m. at 500 N. Clinton Street (basement of First Baptist Church).
- OWLS -- Older and Wiser Lesbians
- Potluck group that meets monthly in Iowa City. For information, call 319-339-4604 or e-mail Katharine
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (P-FLAG)
- Provides support to LGB persons, their families and friends through
dialogue and activism.
National chapter: P.O. Box 27605, Washington, DC 20038.; phone 202-639-4200.
Cedar Rapids chapter: phone 319-365-3442
The monthly meeting of the PFLAG Iowa City/Hawkeye Chapter is held on the 2nd Tuesday from 7:00pm to 9:00pm at the Unitarian/Universalist Society of Iowa City at 10 S. Gilbert St. at the intersection of Iowa Ave.
For more information:
PFLAG Iowa City/Hawkeye Chapter
P.O. Box 652
Iowa City, IA 52244-0652
or, E-mail them at email@example.com
- The Quire: Eastern Iowa's GLBT Chorus
- Rehearses weekly and offers several public concerts each year.
- United Action for Youth
- (410 Iowa Ave., 319-338-9279). Support and counseling for teenagers and young adults processing sexual identity issues. For information, call 319-338-7518 or the Teen Line, 319-338-0559.
Note: Inclusion of a web site on this list does not constitute an endorsement by the UILGBTS&F Association, which has no responsibility for their contents or accuracy.
- National LGBT Health Resource Guide
- National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- National Journal of Sexual Orientation Law
- Sexual Orientation: Science, Education and Policy
- Lambda 10 Project
- The Human Rights Campaign
- Gay Today
- The Advocate Online
- The Gay Agenda