Who We Are
The University of Iowa Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer Staff & Faculty Association (the "Association") was organized in 1990 to support the interests of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender, queer campus community.
The Association is open to any University employee -
merit staff, professional/scientific staff, graduate assistant, faculty, administrator or community member.
Meetings are held monthly and feature guest presentations as well as discussions of current topics recommended by members. In addition, the Association sponsors other public activities throughout the year ranging from lectures to cultural performances and social events.
The Association is governed by the membership-at-large. Business responsibilities are supervised by a volunteer executive board.
The Association's services and activities are open to everyone.
ContactsFor general comments or questions, please contact the Association by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Executive Board Co-Chairs
- David McCartney
- Special Collections and University Archives
- Jefri Palermo
- School of Social Work
On-going Association services include:
- Refers complaints to the appropriate agencies for further action. The Lesbian / Gay / Bisexual / Transgender Resource and Referral Line is at (319)335-1965 and (319)335-0697 text.
- AIDS/HIV Policy
- Has made recommendations regarding AIDS and HIV policies on the campus that are currently in effect.
- Curricula Development
- Fosters the development of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender affirming material within existing departmental programs as well as supports the Sexuality Studies Program at Iowa.
- Educational Programs
- Provides on-site programs to educate and sensitize the University community on a wide range of topics concerning lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and their relationship to the university community-at-large. Currently, the Association is conducting the Safe Zone Project, co-sponsored with the UI Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity and the UI Sexuality Studies Program.
- Social Programs
- The Association creates opportunities to bridge the faculty, staff, students and local community through sponsorship of dances, movies, picnics, lectures, etc. Please refer to the Association Calendar for further information.