Summary
Disproportionate Minority Confinement Subcommittee Meeting
of the
Juvenile Justice Advisory Council
October 22, 2001
Drake University Resource Center

Members present were: Devon Binion, Allison Fleming, Bob Greenlee, Stephan Pearson, Lori Rinehart, Carl Smith, Marvin Spencer, Miguel Trevino. Staff present: Janet Clayton, Dave Kuker, Dick Moore, Scott Musel, Eric Sage.

In the absence of Michael Leiber, Dave Kuker conducted the meeting. Each person introduced himself/herself.

DMC Resource Center RFA
Kuker reviewed the changes to the previously mailed, revised DMC Resource Center RFA based on the comments received from this committee upon its review of this revised RFA. The RFA will drop October 26, 2001. Application deadline is December 7. A grant review committee to be formed will meet the second week in December to review applications and make recommendations to the JJAC Council. The full Council will meet on the ICN in December.

New from the last time the subcommittee met was the inclusion on page 3 of working with local decats to enhance their planning on DMC. Timeframe and grant period…From January 1, 2002 to December 31, 2002. The successful applicant could access more than one year of funding.

Page 5 (formerly program section) will now be "major activities." This change came about as a result of our August meeting regarding what we wanted from an applicant.
Work with local planning entities includes the Decats as well as other local planning groups. Service approaches on page 6, asks for a perfection of the program development piece. The DMC Conference is the last piece and requires that the applicant work with the DMC Subcommittee.

Requirement for applicant content and format on page 7 includes the qualifications and experience section which was added. The plan section ties back to the major piece. The results matrix is included and has been used for several years. Evaluation and monitoring asks for a narrative and description of what their evaluation and monitoring plan will be. Budget forms are included.

Grant criteria matches the major activities section or in program structure section. Most of the points will be in the plan itself. Most points will go to planning and policy section.

The subcommittee was specific in the grant application on accountability to staff, attendance at the subcommittee's meeting, staff updates in addition to quarterly reports, and funding and allowable charges for a conference.

Other DMC Activities
Kuker relayed Mike Leiber's question to the council about what actions could be taken now. Suggestion were: a powerpoint presentation available for the Spring JCO Conference and others, a website, brochures and newsletters. The message: We have overrepresentation and it's not right. It was requested that staff create five pictures that reflect major activities and issues of the DMC initiative.

DMC Diversion RFA
The Chief Juvenile Court Officers will meet via the ICN for an hour on Wednesday to address the issue.

The subcommittee then reviewed the diversion RFA that will be dropped in March of 2002.

The subgroup that met began its discussion with the question of "What Do We Really Want With the Diversion RFA." DMC matrices are reviewed by the federal government regularly. Our task is to support a form of diversion programming that will impact on those matrices. The four counties with the highest number of referrals to detention are Polk, Woodbury, Black Hawk, and Scott.

The small group that met concluded that it would be necessary to sit down with the Chief Juvenile Court Officers of those four counties (and other chiefs) to talk about alternatives to detention. The need is to impact on kids in locked settings or kids being processed in the juvenile court. We must seek the help of the juvenile court. Some chiefs wish to do something early on. Essential to get a commitment up front in the application process. A simple letter from the court may not be enough. Courts may need to be co-applicants. This is to be discussed with the chief at the ICN. Most points will be given to applicant who best demonstrates their impact on a specific decision point or locked setting. It was suggested that in addition to the $80,000 that exists currently, JJAC could apply for an additional amount in March of next year for a longer grant period. Technical assistance was helpful and it should be built into the application that the applicant work with the technical assistant. It is desirable to begin a model approach so that the same could be done elsewhere. The effort is to develop interest.
Multi-year funding for this project will be discussed at the next Council meeting in addition to the Council's other funding priorities.

Summer school next year could have a session on DMC. Perhaps invite a JCO to come. Or perhaps have someone come to the conference next spring to address the issue. It is possible to have some come to the conference and then apply for the grant.

Next meeting
Next meeting will be December 18 at the Drake University Resource Center to review applications and make recommendations to the full Council.