How We Can Help



We can:

In addition to these services to visitors, we also identify trends on campus, recommend needed changes in University policies and procedures, and offer workshops in conflict management.

What kinds of problems does the Office of the Ombudsperson handle?

The Office of the Ombudsperson will handle a wide variety of problems, especially problems that are not being adequately addressed through regular University channels. If you are unsure of whether a problem can be addressed by the Ombudsperson, feel free to call the office (319-335-3608) for advice on the matter. As the following nonexclusive list suggests, the Office of the Ombudsperson may be able to help you:

Staff, faculty and students can contact the Ombuds Office with any question or concern.  Typical issues we help with include:

problems with supervisors or coworkers; concerns about discipline, performance evaluations, salary or benefits, and leaves.
problems with administrators or colleagues; issues with teaching or research; concerns about promotion and tenure; concerns about salary, benefits, and leaves.
conflicts over grades, course requirements, and other academic issues; problems with advisors or other faculty members; academic or nonacademic discipline; student employment.