73rd Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology
Meeting Room: Stanley (Hyatt Regency Vancouver Hotel)
Lisa Seip (British Columbia Association of Professional Archaeologists, (BCAPA), Kay Farquharson (BCAPA), Mike Glassow (Liason to the SAA Board), Bernard K. Means (Pennsylvania Archaeological Council), Len Stelle (Illinois Archaeological Survey), Mike Cinquino (New York Archaeological Council), David Breetzke (GAI Consultants Inc. Kentucky Heritage Council), Candace Ehringer (Society for California Archaeologists), John Doershuk (Association of Iowa Archaeologists), Joni Manson (Ohio Archaeological Council), Eric Poplin (Council of South Carolina Professional Archaeologist), Mike Polk (Ogden Utah, ACRA President), Reed McDonald (Boise Idaho), Max Pavesic (Portland Oregon/IPAC), Stan McDonald (Boise Idaho/IPAC), Michael J. Hambacher (Williamston, Michigan/COMA)
Welcome everyone to the meeting and introductions. The British Columbia Association of Professional Archaeologists or BCAPA (BC Council) in conjunction with the Washington State Council are the hosts of this meeting. The purpose of this meeting is to increase communication among professional councils and between those councils and the SAA. Strong contacts among councils and with the SAA should help us develop a united front on key issues when they arise.
Agenda for meeting was reviewed.
During the first hour of the meeting, we will discuss who will host the Council of Councils meeting next year in Atlanta, Georgia. This will be followed by a presentation from the British Columbia Association of Professional Archaeologists or BCAPA (BC Council) to update the group on local issues. During the second hour, the council will discuss some of the critical issues in archaeology in their own areas, and possible solutions.
Topics to be discussed: Future Coordination of the Council of Councils
Eric Poplin-no rep. from Georgia
L. Seip: Would like to propose that we assign role of person to pass on information for meeting for next year.
John-get list of attendees from SAAs, University of Iowa would support list and add a page to website to explaining what council of councils is and purpose.
Joni Manson-list information about how to find list of council of council members.
Mike Glassow: The Council of Councils is a very informal organization of committees from society. The Council of Councils is an interest group within the SAAs. Only issue is to have one contact person.
(Mike Polk, Ogden Utah enters meeting)
John Doershuk-will be glad to become contact person for council of councils.
Len Stelle-his organization would be interested in planning this event 2 years from now (2010)
Eric Poplin-will make contact with the people from Georgia for 2009
Idaho members entered meeting (Reed McDonald, Max Pavesic, Stan McDonald)
L. Seip- Introductions and states purpose of meeting again.
Mike Polk/John Doershuk-question: what is council and who should be present?
Mike Cinquino (New York) Continuity as to who runs the meeting due to changing presidents of individual councils, good to have website
John Doershuk -Have each council elect a representative for the council of councils (agreed by MCinquino, JManson, Candace E.)
Len Stelle-perhaps make the council of councils a North American meeting (Mexico, Canada etc)
Michael Hambacher enters meeting
Mike Polk-possibly create separate website for council of councils, so site does not become defunct
John Doershuk-his institution can host the site
Mike Glassow-could take website idea to SAA board, SAA will be doing a major revamp of their website, possibly link on page
Len Stelle-good for SAA to support council, definitely provide link to council of council webpage
Joni Manson-her understanding is that council of councils is an adhoc group
Len Stelle-council of councils would have been useful to address national concerns as each state president knows their legislation and political reps. far better than one individual.
J Manson-Legislators pay attention to numbers of SAA group.
Mike Polk-legislators would rather hear from state reps than national reps
John D.-from Iowa perspective-just think about Iowa issues, good to recognize the wider issues
Bernard M. his group does not look national either
L. Seip-useful to have yearly newsletter, where individual councils could put together state information, could put a link to BCAPA site to look at wider issues (North America)
Mike Polk-send out a newsletter about this meeting and the council of councils (Bernard Means will work on newsletter)
David Breetzke-a Statement of purpose should be drafted
Max Pavesic-he can give Council of Councils Idahoís statement
10 minute break
L. Seip-short presentation what is BCAPA/some of the issues in BC
David B.-moving from permit to licensing wouldnít there be issues
L. Seip-one issue would be reporting timelines and creating a provincial repository
DB.-each province has their own system for dealing with archaeology
Mike Polk-sounds like we are creating a bureaucracy-very time consuming
John D.-does an arch in BC have to be a member of the BCAPA to get a permit
M. Cinquino-sounds like BCAPA is moving towards an American standard (review reports, conduct work in short times, arch has to have certain qualifications, varies greatly from State to state-but it stills works but is not perfect)
J D-in some states you have to have a licence to perform archaeology, registry of professional archaeologist struggles a lot with grievances (very little gets pursued)
Mike Polk-are there other agencies that have different permitting systems
LSeip-only one permitting system in BC
MP Ė no federal permitting system
LSeip-federal will follow procedures of each province
MP-FN donít have their own permitting system
LS some do and some donít
Eric Poplin-sounds like you want to eliminate permit process, which would lead to opportunity to be destroyed
Bernard M.-Virginia has given up regulating and just gives an approved list of archs
M Hambacher-California changed to licensing
M Cinquino-you canít review your own work, eventually someone will abuse the system, you want the state or independent to be there to take responsibility (legally)
Joni Manson-government is a great mediator between client and archaeologist
L. Seip-college of archaeologist may be a good mediator
M. Cinquino-donít want competitor reviewing my own work, every report will have mistakes
M.H. what if you get a negative review from a competitor
Bernard Means-reports are getting reviewed by people that didnít get the project- thus corrections can make the costs of project much higher
John D. college of archs could develop scope that will go out to bid
MH-inflating standards of conduct with review and centralization, might think of separating that so you donít have competitors and peers passing judgement (independent reviewer)
Stan McDonald-what is inherent federal functions, look at putting a competitor in the place of reviewing others work, these functions should be reserved to fed. Gov to protect tax payers interests. Sounds like worthwhile communication is going on between parties in BC, but where does that lead us to a mission statement, does this help to have this discussion with other councils.
L.Seip- Yes, very important to hear other problems as we only have one other association in Canada to compare against.
Mike Polk- Do any the of the BCAPA members work for the government.
LSeip- No, as many of them felt they might get pulled into a grievance situation.
J D. - Iowa government did not want to be in the position of office in professional organization to avoid being on any letters.
Len Stelle- also knows of situation where gov rep refused membership due to possible conflict
MH-as BCAPA is largely composed of contractors therefore conflict of interest is greater, if we increase our academic membership we may be able to reduce that conflict. His organization primary members were very academic based. Used as mechanism for people to get together and talk, hard to live up to acronym.
JD-Iowa association has very poor academic representation
Len Stelle-Of what he has witnessed the council of councils has already been useful. Illinois dept of transportation, very professional organization, very fortunate to have built in that reporting capability into organization thus has more arch literature. Never has been a pathway to tell everyone what is going on in other states around us.
Max Pavesic-Idaho 70% of land is federally owned so there is less of a consultant vs. gov. issue. Idaho is trying to fuse government, consultants and academics since 70ís bust up.
L. Seip-Half hour left, use this time to discuss issues effecting other associations
Mike Polk-What is happening with curation of materials in BC
L. Seip-They go to the RBCM or sometimes to FN museums
Mike Polk-Are there guidelines as to how materials will be curated?
L. Seip- Yes, our permits require that archaeological materials have approved repositories prior to the issuance of the permit or any work/
JD-Is there a storage fee or curation fee? This is a huge problem in the US
LS- There is no storage fee.
MP- Is there protection for historic sites?
LS- Only if sites predate 1846.
MC- Would the government make you mitigate a historic site.
MP- That might be something you want to change
BMeans- Pennsylvania passed a law if arch site is on state land the state would do the arch, but there is no funding.
DB-Isnít there a time limit in which the work has to be done?
BM-Yes only a portion of sites get assessed if time runs out.
JM-Which states have legislation to protect sites on private land?
MC-New York does.
Max Pavesic-If burials are associated with archaeological site that are on private land they are protected.
E. Poplin-Loosely worded so other sites
BMeans-Virginia-marked graves no arch, unmarked protected
E Brooke-In BC archaeology sites are protected on public and private lands.
JD-Very little public land in Iowa almost all private-no state level laws except burials, ďancientĒ burials (anything older than 150 years Ė so currently 1858 or older) is protected, unmarked white or Indian.
Candace E.- Likes idea of newsletter, 1st one could have everyone write short synopsis of state laws and regulations
Joni M-interested in hearing how organizations are doing financially, membership dues, publications
JD-Iowa has paid membership, typically give half to the Office of the State Archaeologist for the annual Archaeology Month educational efforts.
MH-membership dues and donations during meetings and committee
BM-membership and newsletter
Max P.-have you ever thought of becoming non-profit?
JM-Yes Ohio is non-profit, has grant program, solicits contributions for this from members, SHPO has no involvement (sometimes mails posters etc.)
LS- The BCAPA has a four tiered membership (Student, Associate, Professional, Academic), fees paid for internet site for companies to be listed ($100 per person per company for list-so company with 5 employees may pay upwards to $500 dollars), we also charge fees for professional workshops
JM - Do you have a public education committee?
DB-Texas State created a public education program geared for high school, online, complete public outreach.
M Pavesic-Big avocational structure in Texas.
DM-Virginia is very avocationally based.
LS-Archaeology Branch (Gov.) created archaeology site watch for sites in the cities that get looted.
JM-Ohio Avocational society is based on looting/collecting, some interested in protection but not enough in the ASO to change the bi-laws to be professionally friendly
MP-Does the Ohio Avocational Society have any professional members?
JM-No, as they would be required to sign an oath to advocate collecting.
BM-Virginia has huge issue with private collectors, in Virginia people can collect on private property without permission.
MC-What about trespassing?
MP-sounds like American Southwest a hundred years ago.
EP-The Rights of the Crown were given to private ownership-thus private owners can collect from archaeological sites, coastal states and south Carolina developed programs to protect coastal sites.
*Who will hold meeting next year? Eric Poplin will try to find someone in Carolina to hold meeting
*Newsletter: Candace Ehringer and Bernard Means will be organizing
Meeting was adjourned at 10:15 am
Mary De La Garza, Web Master