Utilizing Your Work-Study Award


Work-Study is a financial aid program that offers hourly employment to students. As an employment program, students are paid for the hours they work.

Participating in Work-Study is a great way to make
another connection to campus, develop time management and organizational skills and earn some money. A Work-Study job is basically the same as a part-time job, except that with Work-Study, the employer pays 50 percent of the student's wage and the Federal Work-Study program pays the other 50 percent of the wage. Many employers are anxious to hire Work-Study students due to the funding reimbursement they receive.

It is not necessary for students to have secured a job before or immediately upon arriving on campus. Work-Study jobs are available throughout the year. Students must apply for the position and be hired by the employer. Most available jobs are listed on Jobnet; however, students with specific employment interests may want to contact an employer directly. To view Work-Study jobs on Jobnet, the student will need a Work-Study code (password) that can be found on their award notification, available on ISIS (click on Student Records, then Award Notification). A variety of on- and off-campus employers attend the Student Job Fair to interview students and accept job applications. Some employers will hire students the day of the fair.

Employers will require verification of a student's Work-Study award during the job interview. Students may print a copy of their award information from ISIS (click Student Records, then Award Notification).

Work-Study employment dates for the 2014-2015 academic year are August 17, 2014 through May 23, 2015. Students may apply for and accept a Work-Study job at any time, but may not begin working before August 17, 2014.

Student hourly work limitations are established by State of Iowa Law. Students may work a maximum number of 20 hours per week during the academic year.  However, students may work a maximum of 40 hours per week during Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks and over the summer.


Getting Paid

If you are a new hire to the University, your employer must examine evidence of your identity and employment eligibility by completing the Form I-9 within three days of the initiation of employment. The Payroll web site provides a list of acceptable I-9 documents (PDF) that you will need to provide to your employer. Generally, a U.S. Passport OR a picture ID (UI ID card or driver’s license) AND original birth certificate OR social security card are used. Occasionally, students do not have these documents readily available to them, so this information is being provided to you to insure that you bring the required documents with you to Iowa City.


Select Work-Study Job Opportunities