Official copies of the University of Iowa Operations Manual (OM) are on file with the University Secretary, and, as required by the Iowa Administrative Code, in the Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations and in the University Libraries. Policies proposed for incorporation into the OM shall be approved under the following protocol.
In addition, overarching OM policies and procedures may be supplemented by departmental procedures that describe policy implementation practices. These supplemental procedures may be referenced in, and/or linked from, the relevant OM section, as appropriate. When changes are made to referenced and/or linked procedural materials, notice and copies of the revised procedures shall be provided in electronic form to the OM editor. These cross-references and links will be added to the OM as deemed appropriate.
1. New University of Iowa policies will be added to the OM upon the approval of the President, who may seek advice from the Vice Presidents Group. Once approved, the policy will be sent by the President, or designee, together with a letter approving the policy, to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations, who will assure its inclusion in the Operations Manual.
2. New policies developed and approved by the Board of Regents will be added to the OM if reviewed and approved as required in paragraph 1 above. In addition, new University of Iowa policies required by and developed in response to new Regent policies will be submitted for prior approval to the Regents if deemed appropriate by the President.
1. University-initiated revisions affecting the substance of existing policies which were initially adopted with the review and approval of the Board of Regents must be approved by the President (who may seek advice from the Vice Presidents Group) and the Board of Regents. They will be added to the OM when the policy is sent by the President, or designee, together with a letter approving the policy, to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations, who will assure its inclusion in the Operations Manual.
2. All other revisions affecting the substance of existing policies must be developed in consultation between the office(s) and department(s) responsible for a given policy and the OM editor, and other constituents as appropriate, prior to submission to the President for approval and inclusion in the OM, in accordance with the protocol described in paragraph 1 above.
3. Non-substantive revisions affecting form, including editorial improvements, may be made by the OM editor with the approval of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations.