Technology Allowance Policy
- The University will no longer reimburse employees for on-going business
expenses related to communication devices (cell phones or Personal
Digital Assistants with cellular capability (PDAs), such as Blackberry
or Treo) or remote internet service, except for circumstances noted
under "Special Situations".
- At the departments discretion, University employees who meet the
eligibility requirements will be given a predetermined amount of supplemental
compensation to cover the approximate monthly cost a cell phone or
cellular PDA and/or remote internet services.
- This policy applies only to Professional, Scientific and Faculty
employees not covered by a specific collective bargaining contract.
Department Procedure: Coordinate with your HR representative.
Work with your HR representative to initiate this
for Technology Allowance Form (paper form) must be filled out
for each eligible employee
- The actual cost of the employee’s individual plan must be documented
with a copy of the bill.
- Cell phone and Internet access request may be on the same form
for each employee.
- Special Compensation Payment form (SpCom-Reimb.Comm.Device
and SpCom-Remote.Inet must be completed for each individual for a 12
month period to be paid monthly. The HR Special Compensation Payment
form is available in the HR transaction system on line through self
service. On the payment form, enter this key information:
The effective date and end dates should be the month you want to
start the first payment and last month you want the individual to
- Payment Schedule - create 12 payment dates for the first of every
Scan and attach the approved Request for Technology Allowance form
and a copy of the monthly service bill to the HR Special Compensation
Payment form and route for workflow approvals
Departments will be contacted directly to close blanket orders related
to the purchase of such services. Such expenses will also be disallowed
on the procurement card.
Questions related to this policy may be directed to Debby
Please see the Operations Policy changes to the V 11.23 Technology Allowance
Policy at www.uiowa.edu/~our/opmanual/v/11.htm#1123.
These changes were effective January 1, 2008.