Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services (Deaf/HOH)
Academic accommodations for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (Deaf/HOH) students may include:
- Sign Language Interpreters
Please Note: Interpreting requests for other events need to be made by the sponsoring department on campus. SDS can be utilized as a resource for referral information.
- Captioning/transcripts of video presentation in the classrooms: SDS works with classroom instructors and departments to use closed or open captioned videos or have transcripts available.
- On-Site Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART): This is an option when sign language interpreters are not used. A speech-to-text provider is seated in the classroom with a specialized stenography equipment. The provider captions the words, which the student sees on a laptop/tablet.
- Remote Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART): This is when the speech-to-text provider is physically located in a remote location. The lecturer’s words are captioned on the student's laptop via internet connection.
- FM Systems: FM systems are located at SDS and can be loaned out at no charge by the student on a semester-by-semester basis. The receivers used with earphones, a neckloop, or an ear bud allow direct sound from the microphone to the student without extraneous noises.
- Preferential Seating: This can be requested if specific seating is needed within the classroom.
For questions regarding Deaf/HOH Services, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.