Introduction to SAAR Form
As instructor for this course, you are asked to provide or arrange academic accommodations for a student in your class who has a documented disability and is registered with Student Disability Services (SDS). The accommodation request(s) listed on the Student Academic Accommodation Request (SAAR) form shown by the student have been determined to be appropriate by the Director of Student Disability Services.
The procedure for processing these request(s) is as follows:
- Review the SAAR with the student and discuss the specifics of each accommodation request.
- Provide a phone number for use by SDS staff is questions arise.
- If SDS will provide exam accommodations, check one of the “SDS will monitor exams” boxes.
- With the student, agree on dates and times for each exam or test and mark those in the Exam Registration section. The exams must be scheduled within the Exam proctor hours. If the date is unknown, mark TBA. If the student is allowed to schedule his or her exam, check the “SDS will monitor exams, student will schedule…” box and indicate the allowable timeframe and class exam length. All exams must be scheduled between 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. M-F.
- Check the appropriate exam and delivery methods. The office is open M-F 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. for instructor delivery.
- Note any materials, including calculator, approved for use for the exams.
- Note any special handling needed, such as timed exam, CD or DVD reader, etc.
- Sign the form.
- Keep the pink copy. The student needs to keep the yellow copy and return the white copy to SDS.
Please refer to the back of the SAAR form provided by the student for additional information. Please contact Student Disability Services with any questions or concerns: 319-335-1462 or firstname.lastname@example.org.