Thank you for volunteering as a notetaker for an eligible student during the semester. Student Disability Services works to ensure that only qualified students receive this important accommodation. Your assistance as a note taker will help ensure that a student with a disability is given equal access to in-class information. Thanks for contributing to equal access at the University of Iowa by fulfilling this important role!
Please work with the eligible student to determine the preferred method for receiving notes that works best for both of you.
You have the following options:
- If you type notes on a laptop, you can email them to the eligible student.
- You or the eligible student can pick up carbon paper from SDS and you can use it when taking notes in class.
- You or the eligible student can have the notes photocopied or scanned at SDS. SDS is open Monday through Friday 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm.
- You or the eligible student can photocopy or scan the notes at a departmental office, library, or computer lab.
Please keep the following items in mind:
- Maintain an open and ongoing communication with the student about the quality of the notes and note retrieval arrangements.
- Note-taking is not a substitute for classroom attendance. You are NOT required to give a copy of your notes for classes that the student does not attend.
- Notify SDS as soon as possible if you have any questions or concerns about note taking.
- You should notify the eligible student on days you may be absent from class.
For more information, contacts firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-1462.