Are you at Risk?
If you answer YES to any of these questions, you are at risk for sound-induced hearing loss. Browse this site for resources on hearing protection.
- Do you have trouble understanding people in the presence of background noise?
- Do your ears feel full or painful after you have been in an environment with loud sounds?
- Do you notice that your ears ring after you have been in an environment with loud sounds?
- Does your hearing seem muffled or muted after you have been in an environment with loud sounds?
- Do you participate in any recreational activities that involve loud sound exposure and do not use hearing protection (ex. hunting, playing an instrument in a band, going to concerts, attending car races, riding an ATV)?
- Do you partake in household chores such as lawn work, vacuuming, and cooking that involve loud sound exposure?
- Do you increase the level of your personal music player to compensate for background noise?
- Do you smoke?
- Are you ever in situations where you find yourself shouting to be heard over background noise?
- Do you take medication that is known to affect hearing?
- Do you work around loud tools or machinery?
- Have you been exposed to chemicals such as toluene, carbon monoxide, lead or mercury?