MaxiVan Use and Training
Driver Qualification Requirements
1. When is the latest I can pick up a vehicle and what are Fleet Services hours?
Fleet Services is open Monday through Friday, 7am to 6pm and on Saturday mornings (in the Spring and Fall semesters only)from 8am to 11am. You can pick up your vehicle as early as 7am and as late at 6:00 pm M-F.
2. Can I pick up my rental vehicle earlier than planned?
Yes. You should contact Fleet Services as soon as you know that your travel plans have changed. Fleet Services can normally accommodate any change with as little as two hours notice.
3. Can I change or cancel my Fleet Services requisition after Iíve already submitted it?
Yes, you can change or cancel your reservation by calling our office at (319) 384-0564. Remember, a cancellation requires 2 hours notice to avoid a charge.
4. Can I drive my rental vehicle home at night?
Fleet Services vehicles are for business use only, however, you can drive a vehicle home if you plan to leave on your trip directly from home. No personal use is permitted.
5. Can I leave my personal vehicle at Fleet Services while using a rental vehicle?
Yes. Fleet Services will provide 1 parking permit per reservation to park in a lot near the Fleet Services building.
6. When I use a Fleet Services rental, can family members or friends ride along?
No, rental vehicle are for business use only. Family and friends traveling on University business may ride in the vehicle, but no personal use is permitted.
7. Can I take a rental vehicle to Canada or Mexico?
University vehicles may not be taken into Mexico or Canada without the prior approval of Risk Management. They need to know about your trip to address insurance concerns.
8. Does Fleet Services have a roadside assistance program?
Yes. Fleet Services has contracted with ARI to provide roadside assistance. If you experience mechanical problems, lock the keys in the vehicle, or lose the keys, contact either Fleet Services or the vendor (at the number listed on the back of the card) for help.
1. When do charges start and stop on my rental?
Generally, rental charges begin when you pick up the keys and paperwork from Fleet Services. However, Fleet Services reserves the right to begin charges at your requested pick-up time. Charges stop when you return the keys, paperwork, and vehicle to Fleet Services. If you return the vehicle outside of regular working hours, fill out the return reservation slip with the ending mileage, return date, return time and drop it in the after-hours drop box.
2. When can I pick up my vehicle if I donít need it until Saturday, Sunday or Monday before Fleet Services opens?
Fleet Services allows an exception to the 24-hour rental charge on weekends and holidays. When making a reservation, advise Fleet Services when the vehicle will actually be used and we will begin charges at that time. Keys may be picked up on Saturday morning after between 8am and 11am but charges will not begin until the time you actually use the vehicle.
3. How long do I have to rent a vehicle in order to get the monthly rate?
A rental must be used for a minimum of three calendar months in order to be eligible for the monthly rate. If you intend to use the vehicle for 3 months or more, do not use the workflow system for your reservation. Instead, send a blue requisition to Fleet Services with the details.
4. How is a daily rental billing calculated?
Rentals are billed based on a 24-hour clock. If you return the rental within 24 hours or less, you will be charged for one day. Fleet Services allows a grace period of 1 hour. The 26th hour will be billed at 1/3 of the daily rate, the 27th hour will be billed at 2/3 of the daily rate. Subsequent hours will result in a full day charge. For example, if you check out a vehicle at 8am on Monday and return the vehicle at 4pm on Tuesday, you will be charged 2 rental days. Another example would be if you checked out a vehicle at 8am on Monday and returned it at 10am on Tuesday, you would be charged 1.33 rental days.
1. Is fuel included in daily rental and mileage charges?
Yes, the rental vehicle from Fleet Services has a full tank of gas when you pick it up. A fuel card is provided for your use to fuel while traveling. Charges for those purchases are invoiced to Fleet Services; there is no additional fuel charge.
2. Should I return my rental vehicle with a full tank of gas?
No. Fleet Services purchases fuel well below retail prices you see locally, therefore, there is no problem returning the vehicle with a low fuel level.
3. Can I purchase E85 fuel for my personal vehicle from Fleet Services?
At this time, E85 cannot be purchased directly from Fleet Services. However, Fleet Services can provide you with a list of fuel providers where E85 can be purchased.
4. If I pay for fuel or maintenance on a rental vehicle, will I be reimbursed?
Yes, however, Fleet Services provides full maintenance and fuel purchasing options so you should not need to pay for anything personally. In the unlikely event that you do pay for fuel or maintenance, turn in your paid receipt along with pertinent information to Fleet Services for reimbursement.
5. How do I use the gas card provided with the rental vehicle?
Fleet Services provides a fuel card with each rental vehicle. When purchasing fuel, you will be asked for a PIN or Driver ID number. That number is 4, followed by the last four digits of the vehicle license number, followed by a 5. For example, if you are driving vehicle 8665, you would enter 486655 as the PIN. Another example would be vehicle 10285, you would enter 402855.
1. Do I have to train to drive a maxivan if Iíve driven one before?
Maxivan training is required for everyone requesting use of a 15-passenger van. If you feel that you are qualified to drive and should be exempted from the training program, please contact Fleet Services for information on the exception process.
2. If Iíve already taken and passed the required maxivan training provided by Fleet Services, do I have to do it again?
At this time, no, you do not need to renew your training.
3. Whatís the difference between a cargo van and a maxivan?
A cargo van has space for two passengers and the remaining is used to haul cargo. A maxivan has seating for a driver and up to 14 passengers. Maxivan training is not required for cargo vans, however, training is required prior to use of maxivans.
1. I have been told that I could not drive a fleet vehicle because of my driving record. Where can I find information on this criteria?
Fleet Services and the Department of Risk Management review driving records to ensure that all drivers meet established safety criteria. Please refer to the Fleet Safety Program at http://www.uiowa.edu/~our/opmanual/v/19.htm#195 to review the minimum driving standards.
2. Can I drive a Fleet Services rental vehicle with an out-of-state driverís license?
Yes, you can drive a rental vehicle with a valid out-of-state driverís license. Employees should submit pre-approval documentation to Risk Management prior to taking a vehicle and confirm their driving record complies with fleet safety requirements. Non-employee students must submit their request for a driverís license check request through the Driver's License Review System . Non-employee students will not be allowed to drive until their motor vehicle record has been reviewed.
3. Can I drive fleet vehicles with an international driverís license?
No, International driverís licenses are not accepted. Puerto Rico and other US territories are considered international and cannot be accepted.