Dr. Eunice Beam WISE Travel Grants
The WISE Travel Grant Committee awards three $300.00 travel grants each semester. The grants are available to doctoral students for the purpose of presenting their scholarly work at national or international meetings, symposia, conferences, or other professional or academic gatherings.
UPDATED NEWS FALL 2012
The Eunice Beam WISE Travel Grants have been cancelled for the Fall funding cycle.
Please check back in the Spring 2013 for updated criteria and eligibility for the WISE Travel Grants.
Fall applications due by October 15; notification by December 1.
Spring applications due by February 15; notification by April 1.
To be eligible for a WISE Travel Grant you must:
- Be a female doctoral student at the University of Iowa (Ph.D. track) in one of the WISE-approved departments (Scroll down to bottom of page to view list of approved departments).
- Have been notified of your acceptance to give an oral presentation (10 minutes or longer) at a national or international conference/symposium, chosen competitively.
Please note: Poster presentations are not eligible to receive funding through this program.
- Provide documentation from conference organizers showing that your paper was/has been chosen for presentation (Proof of Acceptance). If possible, also provide us with a copy of the conference program, highlighting your presentation.
- Be making or have made your presentation within the same academic/fiscal year the grant will be given (July 1st - June 30th).
- Submit an one-page explanation of the significance of this conference/symposium to your career goals.
- Be available to give your presentation to a WISE group, if requested.
Preference will be given to those applicants who:
- Submit a full paper or a copy of their PowerPoint slides with their application.
- Are listed as the first author on their abstract/paper.
- Are closer to their anticipated date of graduation.
- Are in critical need of financial support.
- Have not previously received a WISE Travel Grant (especially during the current academic/fiscal year.)
Applicants/Applications that meet all eligibility requirements and are submitted with all requested materials will be evaluated competitively, based on academic merit and potential and secondarily on financial need.
If you are selected to receive a WISE Travel Grant, you will have one month from the conference date or the award notification, whichever is later, to process your award. In order to process your travel grant, you must:
- Provide WISE with contact information for your departmental administrator. (Full name, email, and phone number.)
- Have available all receipts for expenses for which you are requesting reimbursement.
If, for any reason, you do not attend the conference, do not deliver your presentation, or do not need the award, please notify WISE so that your award can be directed to another applicant.
Eligible departments for Eunice Beam WISE Travel Grants
For more information, contact Angel Cheng at email@example.com.